James S. Low was already an agent of agricultural implements in 1909. By 1927 when he was joined by his sons, to become Low & Sons, (also known as James S. Low & Sons), he had expanded his business to be a repairer of implements and machines as well as being a mechanical engineer and a wholesale agricultural implement maker. By 1940 his business was described as an agricultural engineer, an agricultural implement agent and dealer and a smith.
There are still a few Low ploughs around. They are a good example of the local tradition of plough making throughout Scotland which continued until well after the Second World War.
The photograph was taken at the Fife Association of Vintage Vehicle Owners rally, August 2014.
© 2016 Heather Holmes