Fordson tractors started to be advertised in the Scottish press in June 1918. By the end of that month there were dealers in most counties of the country. Some of them were to become associated with the Fordson and Ford names fro many decades.
The following is an advert placed in The Scotsman on 29 June 1918 which lists all the names of the dealers at that time:
“The great food problem.
To farmers.
Fordson farm tractors.
Designed by Mr Henry Ford.
And manufactured by Henry Ford & Son, Ltd.
The following firms have been appointed selling representatives of Fordson tractors for the counties herein set forth.
Farmers, the motor trade, and agricultural machinery dealers, who have been waiting upon the
Coming of the Fordson tractor upon the market
Should immediately get into communication with the Fordson dealers for their respective districts, and obtain therefrom full information and dates for early delivery-
Alexander & Co., Edinburgh-The Lothians (Linlithgow, Edinburgh, and Haddington Shires)
Alexander & Co., Glasgow – Lanarkshire
Croall & Croall Hawick – Roxburghshire
Dunlop Motor Co Ltd, Kilmarnock – northern half of Ayrshire
Ducat & McRobb. Aberdeen – Aberdeen and Banffshire
Henderson Bros, Stirling – Stirlingshire
John Munro Ltd, Oban – Argyllshire
R. Mathieson, Peebles – Peeblesshire
G. H. Mill, Gordon – Western half of Berwickshire
Macrae & Dick, Inverness – Nairn and Inverness shires, and the islands of Harris, and North and South Uist
E. McGeoch & Co., Paisley – Renfrewshire
J. McHarrie, Stranraer – Wigtownshire
Normand & Thomson Dunfermline – Kinross-shire and the western half of Fifeshire
Alex Paterson, Elgin – Elginshire
A. C. Penman, Dumfries – Southern half of Ayrshire and Dumfriesshire
Payne & Co., Castle Douglas – Kirkcudbrightshire
Robertson & Porter, Dingwall – Ross and Cromarty shire, and the islands of Lewis
Simpson & Son, Brechin – Kincardineshire, and the northern half of Forfarshire
Thos. Shaw Ltd, Dundee – Southern half of Forfarshire and Perthshire
Thurso Engineering Co., Thurso – Caithness and Sutherland Shires
J. B. Whyte, Alloa – Clackmannanshire
E. Watkinson, Dumbarton – Dumbartonshire
Wholesale distributors for Scotland.
Alexander & Wilson Ltd, Registered Office, 111 Lothian Road, Edinburgh.
Alexander & Co., Edinburgh, was one of the dealers that was well-known for the Fordson and Ford name for many decades. It was one of the dealers that exhibited at the Highland Society of Scotland’s exhibition of farm tractors and tractor implements in 1922. It exhibited the Fordson tractor: “a four wheeled tractor, with unit construction as regards the assembly of engine, transmission of gear box, and rear-axle casing.” The judges reported: “Two Fordson tractors were shown, drawing Oliver ploughs, one single-furrow and one 2 furrows, on stubble, and both with e furrows on lea. This is a good light tractor, weighing only 21 1/2 cwt. It dis its work in a satisfactory manner. It is easily driven and readily turned at the headlands. On account of its comparatively low weight the Committee regard this tractor as well suited for lighter spring tillage operations, and for pulling a binder. At the price £120, this tractor appears to be extraordinarily good value. It has to be noted, however, that the engine is not governed, and, unless fitted with a governor, it is unsuitable for driving stationary machinery such as a threshing-mill.” While the company was an early exhibitor at the tractor demonstration, it did not exhibit regularly at the Highland Show. Indeed, it only exhibited in 1927 at Edinburgh and in 1932 at Inverness.
By 1940 the business had become incorporated as Alexanders of Edinburgh Ltd. In 1949 its agricultural department was located at 64 Fountainbridge; by 1954 its Rosemount Works were at Gardners Crescent. In 1962 its agricultural department had moved to the Hayfield Tractor Works, 536 Gorgie Road, Edinburgh. Gorgie Road was close to the Gorgie Markets and to other agricultural businesses including Ballachs, and George Henderson.


