Y is for …
J. & T. Young, boilermakers, engineers, iron and millwrights’ founders, Vulcan Foundry, Ayr, Ayrshire
William D. Young & Co., manufacturers of iron and wire fences, gates, bridges, roofs &c, Beaverbank, Lower Broughton Road, Edinburgh
Youngson Brothers, Hall Place, Elgin, Morayshire
As would be expected, there are not too many names under the letter Y.
One of the old Ayrshire names is J. & T. Young, Newton Green, Ayrshire, which first advertised in the North British Agriculturists in 1849. Its foundry was the Vulcan. It undertook a range of trades including agricultural engineer, agricultural implement maker, boilermaker, engineer, millwright, iron fence and hurdle maker, machine maker and millwright, marine engineer, and steam boiler maker. These trades suggest that it undertook a wide range of manufacturing activities.
It won a number of medals at the Highland Show from 1857 to 1871. These indicate the variety of work undertaken by this maker. In 1857 it was awarded 2 sovereigns for the best cheese press. In 1859, it was awarded L4 for the best sowing machine for mangolds, L2 for the best cheese press, and L1 for best curd cutter for dairy purposes.
In 1860 it was awarded 3 sovereigns for the best sowing machine for turnips, and
3 sovereigns for best sowing machine for mangolds. In 1868, it received a commendation for reaping and mowing machines. This was followed by silver medals in 1870 and 1871 for its collection.
An Edinburgh name from the nineteenth century was William D. Young & Co., manufacturers of iron and wire fences, gates, bridges, roofs &c, Beaverbank, Lower Broughton Road.
William D. Young was taken over by Young, Peddie & Co., 54 North Hanover Street, Edinburgh in early 1850. It also had premises in Glasgow. It continued as an iron fence, gate, bridge and conservatory manufacturers and contractors, agricultural implement makers, until the early 1860s.
The company received numerous awards from the Royal Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland. These include:
In 1856, an award of 5 sovereigns for best land presser for preparing seed bed and for grain, award of 2 sovereigns for best stone or iron stack pillars with framework, and a commendation for wrought iron lodge entrance gate etc.
In 1857, an award of 2 sovereigns for best stone or iron stack pillars with framework, and a commendation for general collection of implements and wire work
In 1858, an award of 4 sovereigns for best liquid manure distributing machine, 2 sovereigns for best horse stubble or hayrake, 2 sovereigns for best stone or iron stack pillars with framework, 1 sovereign for best field gate constructed entirely of iron, and 1 sovereign for best iron netting for sheep fence
In 1859, bronze medal for second best land presser for preparing seed bed for grain, bronze medal for second best hand stubble or hay rake, bronze medal for second best sheep fodder rack, bronze medal for second best divisions, rack and manger for farm stables, award of L2 for best stone or iron stack pillars with framework, L1 for best iron hurdles for cattle fence, L1 for best iron netting for sheep fence.
These manufactures include not only implements and machines but also sundries that helped the farmer and agriculturist to undertake their work. Metal was key for the manufacture for fences, wire work, stable work and architectural fittings.
The association of the name Young and meatal sundries in Edinburgh continued into the twentieth century with the name of Robert Young Ltd, ironmongers and iron merchants, 192, 194 and 198 Morrison Street, Edinburgh; warehouse Dewar Place Land. The company was incorporated on 20 June 1910 and a special resolution to voluntarily wind up the company was passed on 18 August 1931. The company was an iron merchant, retail ironmonger and wholesale ironmonger as well as a seed merchant. The business had its roots back to at least 1874 through Robert Young, 15 Morrison Street, Edinburgh.